I haven't sewn in forever. Forever in my world is, you know, a few months. Recently, however, I discovered Kids' Clothes Week Challenge on elsiemarley. I was kind of bummed at first because I didn't find out about it until day 5. But look! I was able to whip something out at the absolute last minute! I finished this dress at exactly 11:58pm on the last night of the challenge. Now, I know the goal was to spend an hour each day working on something, but circumstances as they were, I did all the work in two days.
I started with this pattern:
It's a size 3 pattern from the late 1970s. I changed the neckline and the sleeves, and I took out the gathering on the skirt. Oh, and I made the front and back one-piece instead of having a separate yoke. Then, I graded the size down to about an 18-month size. It is probably a bit too big for Harper (she's sleeping - so I can't try it on her until tomorrow!), but she can grow into it.
Oh - haha! I didn't mark my pattern pieces, and I ended up swapping the front and back accidentally. I was going to do a back zipper, but instead, I ended up with buttons on the front. Biiiiiiiig buttons!
The perfectionist in me would have changed a few things, but overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm feeling motivated to get back to sewing now that Harper doesn't grow out of things in one week. Sewing for little babies isn't that much fun!